Staffordshire Bull Terrier - Old Contemptibles
- Brand: Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Product Code:DP276
- Availability:Out Of Stock
Staffordshire Bull Terrier'Old Contempti..
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
We used to pass it every morning going into work, so it was just a case of 'when', and not 'if', we would make good on the inspiration taken from the First World War Memorial in Ironbridge.
The memorial is a haunting, yet thought provoking, statue of a British Tommy in his full trench gear, and faithfully recreated here as a Staffordshire Bull Terrier that we have called 'The Old Contemptibles'.
'The Old Contemptibles' comes from the name adopted by the regular army of the British Expeditionary Force of World War I, and believed to have derived from the comments of Kaiser Wilhelm II, when he mocked the British as a 'Contemptible little army'. From that moment on the normal British Tommy was delighted to refer to himself as an 'Old Contemptible', and the surviving veterans, of which there were very few by 1918, still referred to themselves as 'The Old Contemptibles'.
- A Handpainted figurine / statue from the Doggie People Collection.
- Designed, Sculpted and Made in Shropshire, England by Robert Harrop Designs.
- Sculpted by Mike Rodgers.
- Approximately 6.25 inches (153mm) tall.
- Comes complete in a presentation box.
Robert Harrop Designs
Doggie People Collection
Doggie People © & TM Robert Harrop Designs Ltd 2016.